NICEVILLE, Fla. – Have a library card? Use it this summer to check out a day pass to a Florida State Park including Fred Gannon-Rocky Bayou State Park in Niceville.
The Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services in conjunction with public libraries across Florida has partnered with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Florida State Parks, to offer State Park Day Passes to library patrons through The Real Florida Reader Day Pass initiative.
The Real Florida Reader program allows Florida Public Library cardholders to check out a Florida State Park Day Pass which provides park admission for up to eight people in a vehicle.
Participants are encouraged to check out books about Florida’s wildlife, horticultural and natural resources then explore a Florida State Park in their area to identify resources they learned about, according to the Department of State.
The program will last from May 21, 2022, until September 13, 2022.
“We are proud to partner with Florida State Parks to offer park passes in Florida’s public libraries,” said Secretary of State Cord Byrd.
“Florida has a rich historical and cultural heritage. The Real Florida Reader initiative provides the perfect opportunity for Floridians to get out this summer to explore Florida’s natural treasures.”
To celebrate this year’s library Summer Reading theme, “Oceans of Possibilities,” the Division of Library and Information Services and Florida State Parks invites the public to explore Florida’s beautiful state parks.
Florida citizens without a library card can sign up for one at their local library to take part in this program.
Find a local library and a state park by visiting the Real Florida Reader map.
Participants are also encouraged to share their stories on social media using #RealFloridaReader.
Things to Know
Each library location will receive an allotted number of passes for checkout by library patrons.
- Good for one vehicle, up to eight people.
- Excludes Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs Wildlife, Skyway Pier and Weeki Wachee Springs state parks.
- Does not include entry to federal parks, national forests or national wildlife refuges.
- For day use access only. Does not include camping or any other fees.
- Circulation of the passes may vary by library location. Please return the day pass to the same location.
- Pass is only valid through Sept. 12, 2022.
- Check with your local library for guidelines and policies for returning your pass. Passes will need to be checked out and returned at the same library location.
For more information, visit FloridaStateParks.org/RealFloridaReader.