OKALOOSA COUNTY, Fla. – Drivers in Okaloosa and Walton counties may encounter traffic disruptions on the following state roads this week as crews perform construction and maintenance activities, according to the Florida Department of Transportation.
— State Road 20 (John Sims Parkway) Resurfacing Project
This week, drivers will encounter intermittent east and westbound lane closures on S.R. 20, from Edge Avenue to west of the Rocky Bayou Bridge, between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. These closures are required for median milling, median widening, and sidewalk construction.
— State Road 85 Resurfacing from U.S. 90 to Commerce Drive
Drivers may experience north and southbound intermittent lane closures on State Road 85 between U.S. 90 and north of Commerce Drive, Sunday, Dec. 11 through Thursday, Dec. 15, from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. These closures are required as crews place thermoplastic striping and complete concrete work. At least one travel lane will remain open in each direction at all times.
— Brooks Bridge Replacement Project
Drivers may experience the following traffic impacts Sunday, Dec. 11 through Saturday, Dec. 17, from 9 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. as crews perform utility work:
- U.S. 98 east and westbound alternating and intermittent lane closures between Perry Avenue and Pier Road.
- Santa Rosa Boulevard east and westbound alternating lane closures from east of Amberjack Drive to Ross Marler Park.
- Intermittent shoulder closures on Brooks Street, between Perry Avenue and Florida Blanca Place, and on Business Access Road.
— State Road 85 Resurfacing from John Sims Parkway to College Boulevard
Drivers may experience intermittent north and southbound outside lane closures Sunday, Dec. 11 through Saturday, Dec. 17, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. for required sidewalk repair and construction.
— U.S. 98 Bridge Rehabilitation over East Pass Bridge
Rehabilitation work will begin on the U.S. 98 over East Pass Bridge the week of Monday, Dec. 12. Drivers may encounter intermittent single-lane closures on the westbound structure (Destin to Fort Walton), Monday, Dec. 12 through Thursday, Dec. 15, from 9 p.m. to 5:30 am. The existing 35 mph speed limit will be maintained during construction.
— U.S. 98 Routine Maintenance West of St. Mary’s Avenue Southwest in Fort Walton
Motorists will encounter lane closures Monday, Dec. 12, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for tree trimming operations.
— U.S. 98 Widening from Mack Bayou Road to County Road (C.R.) 30A
The week of Sunday, Dec. 11, drivers may encounter intermittent east and westbound single-lane closures on U.S. 98, from Mack Bayou Road to C.R. 30A, between 7:30 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. The closures are required to finalize the slight shift of the east and westbound U.S. 98 travel lanes to the outside of the roadway and to place a low-profile barrier wall to delineate the median construction zone.
— U.S. 98 Resurfacing Project from Village Road to East of U.S. 331
Drivers will encounter the following traffic impacts the week of Sunday, Dec. 11:
- Intermittent U.S. 98 east and westbound outside lane closures at the County Road 393 intersection between 7:30 p.m. and 6 a.m. to allow crews to install roadway lighting.
- Intermittent U.S. 98 east and westbound single-lane closures, from Mack Bayou Road to Village Road, between 7:30 p.m. and 6 a.m., for milling and resurfacing activities.
- Intermittent closures on the U.S. 98 east and westbound outside shoulders and turn lanes may be required as crews construct new sidewalks, widen existing turn lanes between Village Road and U.S. 331, and construct a new westbound right-turn lane to access Don Bishop Road.
- Veterans Road drainage construction continues this week. The work may require intermittent, temporary closures to allow crews to construct curb and gutter. Access to adjacent business properties will be maintained, and detour signage will be in place to direct U.S. 98 eastbound drivers to Lynn Drive for access.
- State Road 20 Turn Lane Construction at J. W. Hollington Road
Drivers will encounter intermittent lane closures the week of Sunday, Dec. 11, for paving operations.
All activities are weather-dependent and may be delayed or rescheduled in the event of inclement weather. Drivers are reminded to use caution, especially at night, when traveling through a work zone and to watch for construction workers and equipment entering and exiting the roadway.
For more information, visit the Florida Department of Transportation District Three at www.nwflroads.com.