FLORIDA – Florida’s Gopher Tortoise Day 2023 is on April 10.
Gopher Tortoise Day is held annually in Florida to increase appreciation and conservation support for one of Florida’s iconic species. Florida supports more populations of the gopher tortoise than any other state, said the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Committee (FWC).
According to the FWC, every Florida resident is an important part of conserving the state-protected gopher tortoise, and the agency encourages individuals to participate in the 2023 events.
“Celebrating and living alongside gopher tortoises is an important part of ensuring the tortoise, and the over 350 other species they provide shelter for in their burrows, will be around for years to come,” the FWC said.
More information will be coming on how to get involved, but in the meantime, you can visit the Florida Gopher Tortoise Day website to get started on your plans for this year’s special day.
Here are some ideas for things to do for Gopher Day 2023:
- Create gopher tortoise-friendly yards at home and in your community to welcome gopher tortoises as part of your neighborhood.
- Plan an event on or around April 10. Check out the Get Involved page for ideas, or come up with your own. Please send your event info to GTEvents@MyFWC.com, and the FWC will add it to the upcoming events map.
- Work with local governments and organizations in your area to pass a resolution celebrating Gopher Tortoise Day. Be sure to send a copy to GTEvents@MyFWC.com so they can share it.
- Spread the word to your social media networks by posting using #GopherTortoiseDay.
- Educators can create activities, or lesson plans to celebrate Gopher Tortoise Day. Educational materials are available at the FWC’s Gopher Tortoise Program Education Corner and at the Florida Gopher Tortoise Day website.