CHIPLEY, Fla – The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is providing an update on state road and bridge closures and restrictions in Northwest Florida due to Hurricane Sally.
- Pensacola International Airport has suspended operations for all arriving and departing commercial aircraft.
- The Pensacola Bay Bridge on U.S. 98 is closed to all traffic.
- The Theo Baars Bridge (State Road (S.R.) 292/Gulf Beach Parkway) is closed due to high winds.
- The U.S. 98 bridge over Perdido Bay is closed due to high winds.
- U.S. 98 is closed at Paradise Lane due to flooding.
- U.S. 98 from North 13th Avenue to Baybridge Drive is closed due to flooding.
- S.R. 196 closed at East Romana Street due to flooding.
FDOT actively monitors bridges for wind hazards and evaluates for closure when sustained winds reach 40 miles per hour (mph). The Florida Highway Patrol or local law enforcement will close bridges once wind speeds become high enough to create hazardous driving conditions. As wind speeds continue to rise, law enforcement and FDOT personnel will be required to seek shelter and use of the road will be at a motorist’s own risk.
Motorists are encouraged to monitor weather reports and road conditions and to be on the lookout for flooded roads. If the road ahead is flooded, turn around and find an alternate route.
Flooded roads may hide the fact that the roadway is washed out underneath and as little as six inches of rushing water can force your car off the road.
For the latest closures and updates, travelers can access Florida’s 511 service from cell phones, landlines and online at www.FL511.com. For more information, follow FDOT on Twitter@myfdot_nwfl or on Facebook at Facebook.com/MyFDOTNWFL.