NICEVILLE.COM

EVERYTHING NICEVILLE!

Civic Hall of Fame Series: William Nathey

0

Nathey and his wife, the former Mary Jane Bolton, had 5 sons and 2 daughters and were among the first 30 charter members who established the Methodist Church now known as Crosspoint. He also donated land to allow roads and bridges to be built in order to promote commerce.

 

eye md of niceville

Editor’s Note: This is the sixth in an eight-part series featuring the inaugural inductees in the Niceville Valparaiso Civic Hall of Fame. The series is sponsored by our Community Partner, Twin Cities Hospital. The 2017 inductees will be announced at the Civic Hall of Fame Luncheon on July 19.

Mr. William John Nathey was born June 22, 1846, at the head of Boggy Bayou just one year after Florida became a state. He worked with his father to make Niceville a livable community by building a grist mill used by families from miles away. His family also owned and operated a cedar shingle business and transported their goods to Pensacola by schooners – the primary mode of transportation at that time.

Nathey and his wife, the former Mary Jane Bolton, had 5 sons and 2 daughters and were among the first 30 charter members who established the Methodist Church now known as Crosspoint. He also donated land to allow roads and bridges to be built in order to promote commerce.

After his death in 1917, his widow continued to donate property to further develop roads and in 1924, his son donated seven acres of his inherited land for a new Niceville High School – the first in south Okaloosa County and the only school for the military families at Eglin Field. Today it is Edge Elementary. Portions of his old homestead are now Turkey Creek Walk – enjoyed by thousands each year.

 

In 2007 the Honorable Jeff Miller read an extension of remarks into the Congressional Record honoring the life and legacy of William John Nathey.

SEE RELATED POST: Civic Hall of Fame Series: Walt Ruckel

Share.

Comments are closed.