Lawn & Garden Advice for Northwest Florida

Larry Williams, UF/IFAS Extension Agent for Okaloosa County, offers lawn and garden advice specific to Northwest Florida.

689-5850 or 729-1400, Ext. 5850
E-mail: lwilliams@co.okaloosa.fl.us

1. Be careful with pruning and fertilizing in winter

by , 02-29-2012 at 03:51 PM (Lawn & Garden Advice for Northwest Florida)
    With the milder weather lately, one of the worst things you can do in your landscape is to prune and/or fertilize. Both practices can stimulate new growth in your landscape plants at the wrong time of year.

Try not to encourage any new growth on landscape plants until all frost danger has past. Many times pruning will force a plant to produce new growth. This new growth will be much more susceptible to the next frost or freeze. And, itís best to not fertilize your landscape plants ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Tips on pruning landscape plants

by , 04-11-2011 at 09:39 AM (Lawn & Garden Advice for Northwest Florida)
    Pruning is the removal of plant parts. Sounds simple enough; however, in addition to this definition there needs to be a defined reason or purpose for pruning. And, based on the type of pruning and plant species involved, time of year when pruning is done is important. In addition, knowledge of how plants respond to pruning is important.

Without getting into the details of much of the above, my purpose in todayís article is to share short tips on pruning some of our common landscape ...
    Tags: plants, pruning Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Do plants respond to wind chill?

by , 01-20-2011 at 11:23 AM (Lawn & Garden Advice for Northwest Florida)
    Q. With all this cold weather and the low wind chills, I've been wondering if plants are affected by wind chill. For example, the other morning it was 38 degrees. I didn't expect it to be that cold. That's right on the edge for the tropical plants that I usually bring in at 40 degrees. The wind chill was 32 degrees. Do the plants think it's 38 or 32?

A. Plants basically respond to the actual (air or ambient) temperature. Wind chill comes into play because the wind has a drying effect
    Categories
    Uncategorized
;